This guide assumes you have access to the recipient's mnemonic recovery phrase (note, in Valora and Celo Wallet it's called your 'Account Key').
There are risks associated with using a recovery phrase or a private key. Please keep these secret.
The Celo Wallet for Web and Desktop can be used to import mnemonic phrases with custom derivation paths (like Ethereum's) in order to recover your funds.
- Visit celowallet.app in a modern browser (Chrome is recommended).
- For small accounts, you can import in the web version directly. For larger accounts, downloading the desktop version is strongly recommended.
- Click 'Use Existing Account', then 'Use Account Key', then choose the 'Advanced' tab.
- Specify your deriviation path and click import.
- Set a strong password and click Continue. You should reach the home screen and see your account funds.
Once you've been able to access your funds, it's recommended that you move them to an account derived from the Celo derivation path.
- Create a new account: you can use the celowallet.app again, Valora, the Celo CLI, or any other wallets compatible with Celo.
- Copy the address of your new account
- In the first Celo Wallet window, click the Send button in the top-left.
- Send your funds to your new account.
- If you intend to keep this new account permanently, be sure to save its password and account key in a safe place!
This guide assumes that you have access to the following:
- A computer with a Command Line Interface. You can access it following these instructions:
- Celo Command Line Interface installed on your computer
- The 24-word recovery phrase of your Ethereum address
Write your recovery phrase to a file using the following commands:
<word1> <word2> … <word24>
- Replace the
<word>s in brackets with the words from your recovery phrase (usually 24 words, but can be 12, 15, 18, 21 or 24 words, as specified in the BIP 39 standard)
- Press ctrl-o to save
- Press ctrl-x to exit
Recover your Ethereum address on the Celo network:
celocli account:new --mnemonicPath recovery.txt --derivationPath "eth" --node https://forno.celo.org
This command will return you with:
accountAddress: the same address as your Ethereum address
privateKey: the private key associated with your address -- please record this private key on paper and not share with anyone else
publicKey: the public key associated with your address
eth derivation path as above will work for the default Ethereum path used by nearly all Ethereum wallets (
"m/44'/60'/0'/0/0"). If your address was generated using a different derivation path you can specify that using a combination of the flags
For example, for the address corresponding to the path
celocli account:new --mnemonicPath recovery.txt --derivationPath "m/44'/78'/1'" --changeIndex 4 --addressIndex 23 --node https://forno.celo.org
Check your Celo account balance using this command:
celocli account:balance <accountAddress> --node https://forno.celo.org
<accountAddress> with the
accountAddress you got from the previous step.
Now, you can transfer your CELO to an address of choice:
celocli transfer:celo --from <accountAddress> --to <addressOfChoice> --value <valueInCeloWei> --privateKey <privateKey> --node https://forno.celo.org
accountAddressyou got from the previous step.
<addressOfChoice>with the address that you want to send CELO to.
<valueInCeloWei>with the amount you want to send, but this number needs to be slightly lower than your balance, as there’s a transaction fee.
Note that the value has a unit of CELO Wei (1 CELO = 10^18 CELO Wei), so if you want to send 1 CELO, the
<valueInCeloWei> should be 1000000000000000000.